Many people hear the word “consignment shop” and think “thrift store” with used clothes, old antiques and forgotten collectibles. Although there are many places that resemble this kind of shopping experience, many consignment shops can be very upscale environments that shoppers can visit to purchase high-end, brand name, current and desirable items at incredible discounts! Most upscale consignment shops only accept “like new” merchandise that is in excellent condition. Consignment shoppers can often find great value in unique furnishings, expensive lighting, lavish area rugs, beautiful home decor and even sunglasses.
Consignment or the process of consigning means that someone who owns these these items, known as the “consignor”, wants to sell their valuables and seeks a venue where they can be displayed properly and be accessible to thousands of shoppers which gives them a greater chance to make the sale quickly with very little effort. That venue is a consignment shop. The owner of the consignment shop is known as the “consignee”. The ownership of everything for sale or “consigned” remains that of the seller or “consignor” until those pieces are sold by the consignee at their consignment shop or the agreement expires.
The consignment shop who contracts with the consignee takes a commission, fee or percentage of the sale price for representing the consignor and allowing them to use their showroom, sales people, and overhead for the process of moving their inventory. Good consignment shops have a loyal following and high turnover because they are well known and carry quality unique merchandise so the consignor is well represented and their consigned items move quickly. Another reason is that pricing is reasonable, providing great value for the shopper and a quick sell for the shop and seller. But, in the case where a consigned item does not sell quickly, most shops have automatic price reductions in place in their contract where, after pre-established periods of time, the price is reduced until the item sells or reaches the end of it’s contract period.
Consignment offers all these advantages to sellers and in addition the shop can arrange different items from various consignors and display them in a way that they appeal more to shoppers than they would if they just sat there by themselves. It also creates an atmosphere where more items will be sold because they all go together well and, as a whole when combined, look as if an interior decorator created an entire room. That is the sign of a good consignment shop… how talented they are at interior decorating, understanding their merchandise and marketing their client’s items to the shopper.
Interested in becoming a consignor with Consign Couture? Follow the step-by-step process below to make your consigning experience an easy one! Learn more details by reading our Consignment Agreement.
- Large Items: You may either bring in pictures of your item(s) on a digital device or email them to email@example.com. We cannot accept large consignments, like furniture, without pictures.
- Small Items: We are happy to accept small items, like home décor and accessories in our store. Please make sure your items are clean and polished, ready to display. Your items will be inventoried as soon as possible and we will notify you via email if there are any “No Thank You’s.” Please see the “What We Accept” tab of acceptable items if you have any questions regarding your items.
- Details: Provide as much detail about your items as possible – original price, age, dimensions or other information – that may be helpful in the pricing process.
- We price your items based off the condition, style, color, finish and purchase price. Any details provided during the initial assessment process will be taken into consideration when determining final price. Remember, we are familiar with the current resale market and know what customers are looking for – We want to sell your items!
- A one-time consignor account fee of $15 will be taken out of your first consignor check.
- A handling fee based on a percentage scale will be added to the price tag of each item. This will not affect the consignor’s payment; the buyer pays this fee.
Consignment Period & Contract
- Your consignment contract lasts 90 days.
- You are able to monitor your account through our Consignor Login. It will direct you to an external website called Consignor Access.
- Any items remaining or unsold after the 90-day contract period, must be picked up within 7 days of the contract end date. The consignor may also choose to donate their item(s) or reconsign them for a lower price. It is your responsibility to monitor the consignment period.
- You will receive 50% of the sale price.
- Utilizing our interior design experts, your items will be displayed as part of a visually appealing vignette.
- Consign Couture lists most of their items on online portals, such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Our goal is to sell your items(s) within the first 30 days.
- After your item(s) has sold, we write you a check.
- Checks are printed and will be mailed out the first week of each month.
- It is your responsibility to monitor the sales of your item(s). You may access your account through out Consignor Login tab.
- Checks will only be written in increments of $25.00 or more. Less than $25.00 will be carried over to the next sales month, you may come in and ask for a cash payout at any time, or you may use it as store credit.
We accept high quality items that are:
- Name brands
- Clean, dusted, shined & polished
- Smoke free, pet free, mildew free, odor free & stain free
- Solid woods (no particle board)
- Excellent condition
- Styles: Transitional, traditional, urban, cottage, shabby chic, industrial, reclaimed, mid-century modern, english country
- Living Room: Sofa, love seat, sectional, chaise lounge, recliner, tables, chairs and ottomans
- Dining Room: Table and chairs, servers/sideboards, buffets, china cabinets and pub tables
- Home Office: Desks, credenzas, decorative file cabinets (no metal)
- Bedroom furniture: Headboards, dressers, nightstands and wardrobes.
- Accent Furniture: Barstools, decorative chest, bookcase, baker’s rack
Home Décor (minimum value of $25):
- Décor accessories
- Decorative accessories
- Decorator rugs (4’x6’ or larger)
- Lamps w/shades
- Small accent furniture
- This is a sample list, call for more information
- Metal and iron wall hangings